Local Installation Instructions Local Installation Instructions
Use these instruction for setting up a local server environment for testing and development.
Installing WordPress locally is usually meant for the purpose of development. Those interested in development should follow the instructions below and download WordPress locally.
- AMPPS: Free WAMP/MAMP/LAMP stack, with inbuilt Softaculous Installer. Can 1 click install and upgrade WordPress and others as well.
- DesktopServer Limited: Free Windows/Macintosh server, creates multiple virtual servers with fictitious top level domains (i.e. www.example.dev) specifically for working on multiple WordPress projects.
- Mac App Store 1-click install for WordPress Installs a free, self-contained all-in-one bundle of WordPress and everything it needs to run: MySQL/MariaDB, Apache and PHP
- Installing WordPress Locally on Your Mac With MAMP
- User:Beltranrubo/BitNami Free all-in-one installers for OS X, Windows and Linux. There are also available installers for WordPress Multisite User:Beltranrubo/BitNami_Multisite using different domains or subdomains.
- Instant WordPress is a free, standalone, portable WordPress development environment for Windows that will run from a USB key.
Software Appliance – Ready-to-Use Software Appliance – Ready-to-Use
You may find that using a pre-integrated software appliance is a great way to get up and running with WordPress, especially in combination with virtual machine software (e.g., VMWare, VirtualBox, Xen HVM, KVM).
Another software that can be used is Parallels, which you would have to pay for unlike virtual machine software. It allows you to run both Mac and Windows on your machine.
A software appliance allows users to altogether skip manual installation of WordPress and its dependencies, and instead deploy a self-contained system that requires little to no setup, in just a couple of minutes.
- TurnKey WordPress Appliance: a free Debian-based appliance that just works. It bundles a collection of popular WordPress plugins and features a small footprint, automatic security updates, SSL support and a Web administration interface. Available as ISO, various virtual machine images, or launch in the cloud.
Unattended/automated installation of WordPress on Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS Unattended/automated installation of WordPress on Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
Unattended installation of WordPress on Ubuntu Server
You can follow this guide by copy & pasting commands in a terminal to set up WordPress on a fresh Ubuntu Server 16.04 installation with nginx, PHP7, MySQL plus free SSL from LetsEncrypt.
You will not be prompted to enter any credentials or details like in other guides, everything is automated. You can even skip the installation wizard.
If you don't have IIS on your computer or don't want to use it, you could use a WAMP Stack :
- WAMP Server or WAMP Server at SourceForge
- AMPPS WAMPStack – has Softaculous WordPress Installer
- EasyPHP – Has WordPress installer plugin
- BitNami WAMPStack – Has WordPress stack
- XAMPP WAMPStack
These stacks can be downloaded freely and set up all the bits you need on your computer to run a website. Once you have downloaded and installed WAMP, you can point your browser at localhost and use the link to phpmyadmin to create a database.
Then, in order to install WordPress, download the zip file, and extract it into the web directory for your WAMP installation (this is normally installed as c:\wamp\www). Finally visit http://localhost/wordpress to start the WordPress install. (Assuming you extracted into c:\wamp\www\wordpress).
Tip: If you want to use anything other than the default permalink structure on your install, make sure you enable the mod_rewrite module in WAMP. This can be enabled by clicking on the WAMP icon in the taskbar, then hover over Apache in the menu, then Apache modules and ensure that the rewrite_module item has a checkmark next to it.